The Academy of Medical Sciences is a prestigious and independent organization promoting advances in medical science and technology. It is currently seeking an International Policy Officer to join its Policy and International Affairs team in London. As an International Policy Officer, you will work on various policy and international affairs issues to support our mission of improving health and healthcare.
Job Title: Project Management
Location: 41 Portland Place, London, W1B 1QH (Hybrid)
Job Type: Full-Time
Application Deadline: 19 Apr 2023
No of Vacancies: Not Specified
Salary: Starting from £33,426 + Benefits
- Supporting the Senior International Policy Manager to deliver a series of policy workshops aimed at working with international partners to consider how scientific evidence can help address key global health challenges.
- Supporting the organization and delivery of policy workshops and drafting meeting reports and their dissemination.
- This will involve developing agendas, identifying relevant stakeholders, organizing event logistics, and preparing supporting materials.
- These activities will require close working with Fellows, including those that may Chair or participate in our international events, working groups and steering groups, and other experts and stakeholders across the life sciences sector both in the UK and internationally.
- Supporting the Senior International Policy Manager, ensuring that organization and delivery of the policy workshops and engagement with our international partners informs the work of the rest of the policy team and the wider Academy and provides an opportunity to promote the Academy’s policy positions and broader activities.
- Occasionally assisting with projects associated with the Academy’s other international policy activities. This could include developing consultation responses or statements, scoping and organizing workshops or roundtables, and drafting reports.
- Occasionally supervising policy interns (Ph.D. students).
- Maintaining an excellent understanding of the policy landscape by monitoring developments and key policy issues. Identifying and researching potential new areas of policy work.
- Maintaining and developing an effective network of contacts across the sector (including our Fellows) to inform the Academy’s major international policy activities and increase our work’s impact.
- Contributing to evaluating the policy team’s activities and developing new ways of working – particularly with respect to events.
- Maintaining relevant website areas; liaising with Communications staff to ensure internal and external engagement with the Academy’s policy work, including using new media.
- Occasionally assisting with projects associated with the Academy’s other international policy activities.
Key skills and abilities
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytic skills and experience in collating evidence from different sources
- Ability to manage multiple projects in parallel with support from the Senior International Policy Manager
- Knowledge of the global science/health policy landscape
- Running successful international events
- Able to build and maintain effective relationships with key internal and external contacts
- Attention to detail
- Able to harness the benefits of working in teams, including across different departments and organizations
- Good IT, literacy, and numeracy skills
- Able to travel
Please APPLY HERE if you wish to work as an international policy officer.