Employer Name: Science New Zealand
Salary: $85,000 – $135,000
Employment Type: Full-Time
Application Closes: 12 Dec 2022 23:55
Work in a research or industrial setting where you can contribute to developing new and innovative technologies. We collaborate with our partners to use cutting-edge science to improve how they grow, fish, harvest, and share food.
You will join an innovative and driven research team investigating novel technologies supporting finfish open ocean aquaculture and wild fish capture. You will
- Played a key role in designing, prototyping, and evaluating mechanical, electronic, and software systems to support novel finfish production and capture technologies for the open sea and laboratory-based experiments.
- Provide specialist technical support to a range of seagoing finfish projects and other engineering projects across PFR
- Also, work collaboratively with key stakeholders on various interesting projects, including developing novel seafood harvesting and culture systems, characterizing fish behavior and physiology, and innovative engineering approaches to other food production systems.
To be successful in this role, the ideal qualifications and experience are:
A post-graduate qualification (equivalent knowledge, skills, and experience) or appropriate undergraduate qualification with at least 5-10 years of relevant practical experience in the mechatronics engineering field. Appropriate industrial/trade qualifications and experience will also be considered.
You will possess knowledge and experience in mechatronics design and prototyping, automation and control (ideally of remote systems), and system integration gained through industry practice or research.
Knowledge and experience of one or more of the following will be an advantage: working knowledge of mobile communications, M2M, ICT, and IoT; previous experience with industrial machine vision solutions and related software; software skills required for systems integration and data flow management; and/or familiarity with marine systems design and 3D parametric modeling.
You will be required to go to sea from time to time for test and development purposes. So you need to be comfortable with and able to handle the seagoing requirements.
The opportunity to work within a friendly, team-based environment that encourages and supports work-life balance and to contribute to exciting projects with an organization with an excellent reputation for its science and for being a great workplace! At PFR, we offer excellent employee benefits and flexibility, such as;
- Additional 6 days leave and generous paid parental leave.
- Ongoing career development opportunities
- Flexible work – work from home and flexible hours
- The option of subsidized health insurance and additional employer superannuation contribution
- Modern, award-winning facilities at the Nelson Research Centre
If you are interested in this opportunity to work as a Bio-technologist at Plant & Food Research at Science New Zealand, please apply today.